Friday, October 17, 2008

What about Major Donors?

I am not afraid to make corrections and additions to my white paper - and this could be the beginning of one. Steve Thomas is working on Amnesty International Canada's capital campaign and he told me of a donor who had pledged $10k just a few weeks ago. The donor just withdrew because 'he lost too much in the crunch'.

I always say be wary of anecdotes, but with major donor fundraising, anecdotes are often all we have. Please send me any information - and especially data - on the impact of the economic downturn on major donors.

1 comment:

Kimberley MacKenzie said...

This is exactly my point. I met a woman from the USA at dinner Friday who lost her entire retirement fund. Moderately wealthy people. They said they will be scaling back their donations this year. I think donors would like to be part of this conversation.
k